Google Maps is nice for serving to you discover your approach — and even serving to you discover your automobile — however the app also can assist different folks discover you.
Maps has an simply ignored characteristic for sharing your real-time whereabouts with somebody to allow them to see precisely the place you might be, even should you’re shifting, after which navigate to your location. You should utilize the identical characteristic to let a trusted individual preserve tabs in your journey progress to a specific place and know exactly while you’re set to reach.
One of the best half? It’s all extremely easy to do. The trick is realizing the place to look.
Share your real-time location
Whenever you need somebody to have the ability to observe your location:
- Open the Maps app in your iOS or Android machine
- Faucet the blue dot, which represents your present location, then choose “Share location” from the menu that seems. (If it’s your first time utilizing Maps for such a objective, your telephone might immediate you to authorize the app to entry your contacts earlier than persevering with.)
- If you wish to share your location for a selected period of time, choose the “1 hour” possibility, after which use the blue plus and minus buttons to extend or lower the time as wanted
- If you wish to share your location indefinitely — till you manually flip it off — choose the “Until you turn this off” possibility
- On Android, choose the individual with whom you wish to share your location from the record of advised contacts or choose an app (like Gmail or Messages) to ship a personal hyperlink. You may as well decide to repeat the hyperlink to your system clipboard after which paste it wherever you want.
- On an iPhone, faucet “Select People” to decide on an individual out of your contacts, choose “Message” to ship a personal hyperlink to somebody in your messaging app, or choose “More” to ship a personal hyperlink through one other communication service. Your telephone might immediate you to provide Maps ongoing entry to your location earlier than it strikes ahead.
- Should you share your location inside Maps itself — by deciding on a contact versus sending a hyperlink through an exterior app — the individual with whom you might be sharing your location will get a notification on their telephone. As well as, when you choose “Location sharing” in Maps’ aspect menu, you will note an icon on prime for each you and the individual you’re sharing with. Choose the individual’s icon, and a bar on the backside of the display will allow you to cease sharing, share your location once more, or request that the individual share their location with you.
To manually cease Maps from sharing your location:
- Open the Maps app, and search for the “Sharing your location” bar on the backside of the display
- Faucet the “x” subsequent to the road that claims how and for the way lengthy your location is being shared
Share your journey’s progress
Whenever you need somebody to have the ability to see your location and estimated arrival time whilst you’re en path to a specific vacation spot:
- Open the Maps app, and begin navigating to your vacation spot
- Swipe up on the bar on the backside of the display (the place your remaining journey time is proven), then choose “Share trip progress” from the menu that seems
- Choose the identify of the individual with whom you wish to share your progress or choose an app you wish to use for sharing
If you wish to cease sharing your progress earlier than your journey is full:
- Swipe up once more on the bar on the backside of the display
- Choose “Stop sharing” from the menu that seems
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These don’t affect editorial content material, although Vox Media might earn commissions for merchandise bought through affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, see our ethics coverage.